History of the Aransas Pass Fire Department

1929 Aransas Pass Volunteer Fire Department

Active Members:

  • J. M. Barnwell
  • Frank Belken
  • Ted Bigelow
  • Ted Burke
  • Frank Clendening
  • J. M. Crenshaw
  • Ira H. Cundiff
  • King Custer
  • Red Fricke
  • Q. D. Hughes
  • Sam Kaufman
  • Wm. T. Kopperl
  • Joe A. Payne
  • Rob Roy Rice
  • Nunc Snyder
  • C. C. Tedford
  • H. A. Thomas
  • Arlin Yeager
Volunteer Fire Department 1929

The First Fire Department Pumper

The Aransas Pass Fire Department was started in 1929 by volunteers and Fire Chief Charles C. Tedford. During that time it was run solely as a volunteer Fire Department. In 1954, the fire department transitioned to a paid Fire Chief and paid drivers, with assistance from the volunteers to fight fires. In 1982 there were two fighters per shift, and in 2002 an additional fire fighter was added per shift.

First Fire Department Pumper
Fire Station on South Arch

The Aransas Pass Fire Station

The old Fire Station at 338 South Arch Street.

The Fire Department on Arch is where Retired Fire Chief Martinez, Fire Chief Gilbert Ritz, Captain Rickie Kilgore, and several other paid & volunteers started their fire service career.


The Fire Department also had a "mascot". The dog, whose name was Sam, was also Chief Pete Martinez's dancing partner during Fire Prevention Week.

Sam the Mascot with Pete Martinez